Svisloch Teachers’ Seminary marks 135th anniversary
MINSK, 21 September (BelTA) – The Svisloch Teachers’ Seminary was founded on 21 September 1876.
The seminary worked in the village of Svisloch, Grodno Oblast, till 1921. The educational establishment trained teachers for primary schools in Vilnius.
The seminary was sponsored by the treasury and education fees. The seminary accepted all people aged 16 who graduated from primary schools. Graduates of the seminary could not enter Russian universities.
The seminary’s staff comprised a director, a law teacher, six lecturers, a doctor. Graduates of Russian universities, theological academies, the Belsk Teachers’ Seminary and the Vilnius Teachers’ Institute worked in the seminary as teachers.
The seminary’s curriculum included religion, pedagogy, the Russian and Church Slavonic languages, mathematics, physics, geometry, history, geography, natural history, penmanship, singing, gymnastics, drawing, gardening, etc.